Saturday, February 9, 2013

Work or Study? Choose School.

QUEZON CITY, Philippines - Working while studying is not the best idea ever. If I were to choose one, I'd rather study... no.. I'd rather work.. Hmm.. Ok.. I'd rather do none of them.. I want to be the world's most famous bum.

How does it feel like to work and study?

It feels awesome (and tiring.) Awesome in the sense that you have two worlds to manage. School papers to finish and a job to master. But it is tiring. It's difficult. If you were in a situation that you were to choose one, choose your studies. Trust me.

Why?

I am currently enrolled in UP Diliman taking ONE subject in the residential mode--meaning I still go to a regular class with regular classmates; and taking THREE more in UP Open University--this time I do classes online.

AND

I am currently employed full time, working for Telus International. I also have just started a small online business selling websites to small businesses.

Studying is DYING literally. I mean, how could I even manage to go to school in the morning after work. And to tell you Math building in UP Diliman is situated at the worst place.. It's so far, even the moon is nearer.

Okay, enough with the exaggeration.

Another downside is that it costs you more to study while working--with UP's STFAP system at least.

I was bracketed STFAP B by the Office of the University Registrar (all UP units.) That means it costs P1000/unit to study; while without work, I would probably be in Bracket D (P300/unit) or E (P0/unit)--and that's way, way cheaper.

Here is my FORM 5 for a MATH11 subject this SY 2012-2013, second semester.

3k for a subject?
My FORM5: a single subject.
STFAP bracket B.

Although working gave me the opportunity to earn money, it all goes to my studies (I pay for my schooling.)  So, it's somehow useless if you ask. Unless you have rich parents to help you out, then that is great.



If you are planning to study and work at the same time, you better think about it really hard. It is not something pleasurable deep within. Seriously.

Now, like what I have mentioned, I'd rather study. It soothes me to sit down in a classroom listening to the professor. But I won't give up work.. I've got bills to pay, family to feed (lol.. not really) and a self to take care of.

Just a tip to all who are thinking about it.

Study first.

And you can work all the way after!



Call Me Jed™ (cc) 2013. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Philippines License.