Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Don't Like Korean Food?


SEOUL, South Korea - The Korean wave is coming! Oh.. It's here already? Oh this is awkward.. Well.. I am sure you like the Korean culture just like everybody else, right? You then try to blend your lifestyle with the Korean ways!

Korean fashion: CHECK! Colorful shirt, colorful pants, colorful shoes. Check check check! Korean clothes? You bet! You look prettier than Song Hye Gyo and more handsome than Goo Jun Pyo.

Korean songs: CHECK! You don't understand it but you sing it. You memorized it better than your own National anthemn. You can be awarded the Korean singer award for foreigners.

Korean language: CHECK! "Annyeong haseyo!" you would say to your mom.. You do not even need subtitles watching their movies! Admit it! Kkkkkk

Korean food: CHECK............mate? Admit it. Korean food, the first time you smelled or tasted it, can make you go---blearghh!



Took this picture in a Korean restaurant in Ortigas.
What makes people go gaga then? Me, myself, and I didn't like Korean food. It smelled too strong for my nose to handle. Too spicy for my tongue to taste. And too juicy for my mouth to hold. Bleargh.. What a moment!





But don't cry little Korean-wannabe.. It WAS like that. And now? Oh lo.. Korean food is heaven in my mouth.. It's like buffet after 10 years in an island of coco crunch. So what the heck happened?!

Korean food is not like those chips you buy anywhere. You like it. You are fooled by it's physical appearance and then "crunch!," you get what you see.. and that is all about it. Korean food is more like the opposite, the more you get used to it, the more it tastes better. The more you let it melt on tongue (whatever is melt-able), the more you taste its liveliness.  

So my point is.. Don't give up just yet. I AM A FAN of Korean food. From bulgogi to kimchi, I am so amazed by how it allows me to gobble vegetables like meat. I don't eat veggies often. But Korean veggies are the exception. The spices, the tenderness, the juiciness--all in the Korean food.

Korean cuisine is indeed one of the most delicious in the world--at par with Nutella.


Call Me Jed™ (cc) 2013. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Philippines License.