Friday, May 10, 2013

Is The Question "What is happiness?" Philosophical?

QUEZON CITY, Philippines - I came across one of my homework (or howemork) in my Philosophy subject and decided to publish it here. Fifty percent of the things I've written seems gibberish to me. Well, I didn't know what I was doing (or in this sense, writing.)

1. Is the question "What is happiness?" philosophical?

© Dancer01 Stock Free Images
The question “What is happiness?” is philosophical. A good philosophical question is a question, according to Avrum Stroll and Richard H. Popkin’s Introduction to Philosophy, which has seven characteristics of a philosophical problem. And this particular question includes: digging beyond the obvious—for we know exactly what happiness is. On second thoughts, do we really?

Let’s say the question is the argument itself. According to the book Philosophical Analysis, real arguments in natural language are not amenable to fully precise treatment. Many people would deal with the question with full of controversy and analogies. So, by thinking of the question--“What is happiness?”—we can come across many ways to evaluate it.

A philosophical question is one that has more than one legitimate answer. Therefore, the answer to this question can be different from one another. And the value of those answers has yet to be proven. The answers might be in many forms—making it a perfect example of a philosophical question.

2. Identify one valuable lesson that you learned in the Intro to Analysis of Statements which you think can help you in your life.

 A valuable lesson I learned in the first part of the course that would probably help me in my life is the knowledge on how to analyze the truth-value of statements. We all have gotten into an argument without actually being confident about how well our statements have been. We just utter words that sometimes just don't make sense even if our mind tells us that we know exactly what we are talking about.



Since a truth-value is assigned by a rule of valuation to a statement in order to state how it relates to the facts in the Universe of Discourse, it can positively assist me to prove logically if an argument is valid or invalid. And that is by verifying that what I say is true. Proving that your statements are true lets you think critically. And if you have proven that your statement is true, it gives you the edge to converse more on your argument. On the other hand, proving that someone’s statement is false could deliberately end the argument.

Proving something fully provides you the absolute truth. Being a UP student who is potentially prone to arguments, it is important that I make sure I know the truth-value of my statements and the others’ as well. Even though knowing the absolute truth isn't what I need alone, it still makes me think every time I come across statements. It would save my life.

Call Me Jed™ (cc) 2013. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Philippines License.